Saturday, January 30, 2010

"What Will life be Like if People Stop Reading?" by Caleb Crain, and the notation system

This article is about what will happen to people and society if people stop reading. It describes the social effects and also the effects on one's brain. The one thing that I liked about this article is that it provides a lot of interesting facts about who reads, how many people read, and the difference between how educated and uneducated people think. Overall though, I disagreed with the arguments of the article. The article basically insinuates that in order to be educated and well-rounded, a person must practice reading. I disagree with this statement for two principle reasons. First, I believe that the reading that a college student has to do is more than enough to keep their brains functional for reading intensive purposes. Secondly, I believe that the internet and news stations provide all the news of the newspapers, except these mediums cut out the excess, and get to the news.
In regards to the notation system that we used, I do not really like it. I think that it is something that would be needed to be practiced for a very long amount of time, for minimal gains. I did not feel like it helped me understand the article anymore, and it took me longer to read the article.

No comments:

Post a Comment